Issue with storing presets when Infinity is ON (Playbeat)

Preset 1 is selected.
I click the Infinity button and hit Play until it randomizes the pattern for all 8 tracks/samples.
Hit Stop.

1. If I deselect the Infinity button and hit preset 2 to store it, now preset 2 saves the Infinity button state (Infinity OFF) so whenever I go to another preset and come back to preset 2, it’s OFF.

2. If I leave the Infinity button ON and hit preset 2 to store it, now preset 2 saves the Infinity button state as ON, which can be a problem, because if I’m performing live and I hit preset 2 and leave it for longer that the number of bars I selected, it then starts randomizing the pattern. The only solution for this problem is if we lock all 8 tracks. Not a good way of working, because if we then decide to randomize the 8 tracks again, we have to go and unlock them one by one, then lock them again. Too many clicks and waste of time.

My suggestion would be that we could lock the infinity button, but the default would always be OFF to avoid unwanted randomization. If for a particular preset we wanted it to keep randomizing we would turn Infinity ON and then lock it.

I noticed this because I selected preset 1, Infinity ON, let it loop and randomize it once, then hit preset 2 to save it, let it randomize, hit preset 3, randomize, preset 4, etc… until I got 16 different patterns, but now I can’t use any of them, because they will always randomize (unless I lock all 8 tracks on all 15 presets - preset 1 is always off).

Hope you can add this lock feature in a future update.

Hi @iamdannywyatt,

Thank you for reporting this. We agree with you and this will be fixed very soon.

If you have saved presets using the Quick-Load slots, with the Infinity button ON, but you do not want them to keep randomizing, you may load the presets and deactivate the Infinity button.
Then, click and hold the preset button in the Quick-Load presets menu until you see it blinking.
This will easily override the saved preset, but with the Infinity button deactivated.

The above is a temporary solution and will be fixed with our next update. Thanks for your patience.
Best,
Katerina

1 Like

Thank you @katerina
I didn’t know about that feature to override the preset. That’s a good workaround indeed.
2 suggestions:
1 - When the user makes changes to a preset and clicks a different preset’s button and then back to the changed preset, it should keep those changes. This gives the user the ability to still override the preset with the new changes, even if they went to a different one by choice or accident.
2 - Still following the same principle from the previous topic, when a saved preset has changed (maybe the user added a few notes or changed the velocity values, for example) the numbers at the bottom could have a dot next to them, just to give the user an indication that the preset has changed and won’t be saved until the user manually overrides it. Something like this:

And since there’s enough space at the bottom, you could even add a “Compare” button, similar to how Logic works:
In my image above, if I click preset 1, I will see the Compare button and when I click it it will go to the saved version so I can audition and when I click it again it will go to the new/unsaved version. Like an A/B button. The user will be able to compare both versions and either save the new one or just discard it and go with the saved one.

Thanks @iamdannywyatt, sounds interesting! We included it in our “To Do” list too.

With the current version, if you edit a preset and then select another preset to load, the only way to return to the previous (edited) preset is by using the Undo button on top.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, that’s a workaround. Not very intuitive, but a workaround as long as people are aware of that.
Maybe you can improve that on a new release. It would be great!

1 Like