I took a look at developing presets / packs for Soundbox. I have questions / feature requests that I would like to share.
To confirm: It is not possible to loop all of the samples in a group in one go, yes? I realize that working this way delivers sub-optimal results some times (not always), but being able to get a loop in the ball park for all samples then going in tweaking would be a timesaver. For example, if I have 20 samples of a bog standard saw wave spread across the keyboard, is there a way to select all of them and set up the loop simultaneously in all samples selected? Currently, when I select multiple samples, the loop editor disappears and I can’t define the loop region. Conversely, if I set up a loop in one sample via the editor, selecting “Apply Settings to Group” does nothing. Since Soundbox won’t recognize loop points from things like SampleRobot, this means that working with more than one sample to create loop points is not possible. Do I have this right?
Where can I access MPE controls so I can customize their effects and assignments?
How do I adjust the range of things like aftertouch, velocity, mod wheel, etc.? If I apply aftertouch to a parameter for example, it’s always has a full-on, 100% effect.
If these things are not possible, then my FRs are:
Please refine the looping workflow to increase efficiency when working with multiple samples, round robins, etc.
Please expose the MPE parameters and make them available for editing and assignment.
Please create a way to adjust the range / effect of things like aftertouch, velocity, mod wheel, etc.
Finally there are a few other request I’ve noticed in this forum that I would like to strongly endorse.
Great suggestions, they stated that loop points detection support is coming in next update.
“Our next update is in progress, but it requires a bit more time as we’re implementing new controls and automatic loop detection. However, we already have a beta version and are working hard to release it as soon as possible.”
+1 for MPE controls, it was touted as an MPE capable sampler and here we are months later the only MPE functionally is pitchbend. Still need polyphonic aftertouch and timber!
Hi @gnapier , thanks for reaching out and for your feedback! After clicking ‘Apply Settings to Group’, any adjustments you make should apply to all samples within that group.
Could you please confirm if that’s working as expected on your end?
Currently, Soundbox only supports polyphonic pitch bend, but we’re actively working on optimizing the engine to add support for polyphonic aftertouch.
Our next update will introduce new time-stretching algorithms, and polyphonic aftertouch will be implemented shortly after that.
You can adjust the aftertouch range using the slider below, which controls the depth (min/max).
We’re also considering expanding this to include velocity and mod-wheel.
Hi everybody! It’s been a little while. I saw that version 1.2 has been released, though I can’t find it on the site yet. I just wanted to complement you all on the work and progress made with Soundbox. It looks like many of the requests are being implemented, you are steadily adding libraries and library developers, and somehow you’ve kept the price for everything between “free” and reasonable! I think it’s time to take another dive and try to make a library to really see how the workflow/capabilities are coming along. Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback. We have a lot of new features coming soon and are currently finalizing the implementation of full MPE support, along with several additional algorithms. We hope to release these updates as soon as possible.
We’ve received a great deal of interest and requests from other developers using the platform, and we’re doing our best to meet everyone’s expectations promptly. Thank you for your trust and continued support.
You can download the latest version update directly from the Soundbox page here:
Hi! You can definitely use Soundbox to create and distribute your own instruments. When exporting, you can also choose to lock your pack/instrument before exporting it.
“Export & Lock” exports the same pack content but marks the exported copy as locked.
After importing it, Soundbox applies these restrictions:
Action
Normal export
Locked export
Load and play presets
Allowed
Allowed
Edit pack details and artwork
Allowed
Disabled
Rename/delete original presets or change their tags
Allowed
Disabled
Drag presets into/out of the pack
Allowed
Disabled
Overwrite the pack’s original presets
Allowed
Blocked
Re-export the pack through Soundbox
Allowed
Hidden
Users can still adjust the loaded sound, save a separate user preset under a new name, and delete the entire imported pack.
Proprietary locking is held server-side. For custom commercial releases, pitch your sample library directly to Audiomodern so they can integrate it into their store.
Full transparency: I’m looking for a sampler platform to build and sell my own instruments on. I’ve also been looking at Flite, Koda, DecentSampler and others. Trying to compare apples to apples is surprisingly difficult…But it’s great to know I can build and distribute my own Soundbox instruments. Let me ask just a couple of questions to make sure I understand…
When a pack is exported with Export & Lock, is the audio itself encrypted, or does locking restrict editing inside Soundbox only? I need to know whether someone could extract the raw samples from the pack file outside Soundbox.
Are there any terms for selling third-party Soundbox instruments, such as fees, revenue share or approval? Or is it simply build, lock and sell from my own store? If you also offer a route into your own store, I’d love to hear how that works.
Thanks again, and keep the updates coming. Soundbox keeps getting better.
Thanks for checking with us! Export & Lock currently restricts pack editing and re-exporting within Soundbox, but it doesn’t encrypt the audio samples.
On Windows and macOS, imported WAV or FLAC files are stored in the Soundbox library folder, so someone with access to that folder can browse them.
We added this option to access individual samples after the first 1.0.0 release, as many users specifically requested this flexibility.
However, if more creators share this concern, we’ll happily consider adding a creator-selectable option during Export & Lock to restrict sample expansion within Soundbox. As more developers choose Soundbox for their instruments and the range of desktop/iPad libraries continues to grow, we want to keep listening and support the different needs of our creator community.
Also, there are no special terms for selling third-party Soundbox instruments, no fees, no revenue share and no approval. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the swift replies. I strongly urge you to consider a creator-selectable option during Export & Lock to restrict sample expansion within Soundbox. I suppose one can also rely on the EULA’s language on proper usage of raw audio files (no resale, etc.) because, of course, those are always read and adhered to closely. But it might enable an interesting model: a creator could offer a lower-priced sample-locked version and a slightly higher priced sample unlocked version. Just a thought… Thanks again for the fast response.