This is really frustrating. I’m on iPad Mini, latest Playbeat, iOS 15.8 (highest supported by my hardware).
I have my own presets, which use my samples, loaded via the ‘add folder’ feature in settings → samples.
If I start Playbeat, it always plays for a bar or two, then audio stops. Though, rarely, sometimes it massively reduces in volume. This seems to happen at the end of the bar.
Then I will find that OTHER APPS, like youtube, are not putting out audio any more.
I can usually recover from this situation by ejecting the running playbeat app and starting again. But typically, this problem will happen over and over again, leading to a frustrating 30 minutes of not being able to do anything at all with playbeat.
I have tried to diagnose what’s going on, but the only thing I can pin it on is the User presets I created. Factory presets and downloaded packs from your website don’t create the same problem.
Thanks for reaching out. This is really strange. Our Factory packs are no different from the user presets and are created exactly the same way.
What types of audio files are you using for your user presets?
Is this happening in standalone mode or when using the app as an AUv3?
Can you please share a pack with us which produces this issue so we can investigate?
They’re in a folder I created in the root of the ipad, but several levels down, I have a whole folder structure that I use across different apps (and different devices). The exact path for one of the samples is ‘On My iPad’/Samples_ipad/Plusdrive_ipad/A_PERC/P_SKIN/DjembeS5_cy_perc 2.
The folder is accessed via the ‘add folder’ feature in settings → samples. I added the path ‘On My iPad’/Samples_ipad/Plusdrive_ipad to get access to my folder structure.
If you are able to load the sounds to the preset and hear them, but not being able export it within a pack is strange, I can only assume that there must be a security setting preventing access to this folder, which could explain the first issue.
Can you please check if there are nay folder restrictions, or try with samples located in another folder?
I’m new to playbeat, so everything I’ve done is on 3.2.5. Regarding iOS, when I first installed playbeat, I encountered the problem on iOS 15.4.something. I wondered if it was an iOS bug since fixed, so I upgraded to 15.8, but found I still had the same problem.
I can try an uninstall/re-install of playbeat, and see how it affects the sample export problem at least (the ‘kill audio’ problem is intermittent, so may not get an answer straight away)
Unfortunately this pack still does not host any sounds. Something is preventing the sounds to be collected during pack exporting which is highly unusual as Playbeat expansions should work across any device on Desktop or iOS. I assume that this might be causing the first issue mentioned above which again is a strange behavior.
We will need to try to replicate this with an iPad device running 15.8 to see of any missing updates could be causing this problem or an incompatibility should be fixed on our side.
I would recommend that you ask for a refund through the App Store until we have some more news about this case. Thanks for your patience.