¿trigger patterns with midi? (Playbeat 3)

Good evening! First of all, congratulations to the company for creating such original plugins at an affordable price!

I have bought Playbeat 3 with the intention of being able to trigger the different patterns within the Piano roll in Fl Studio through midi notes. To my surprise no key on my midi piano responds to pattern playback. I am not a live music producer.
This is how I like to work, Action Strikes, Drum Computer and the different Klevgrand percussion instruments I own work this way, which makes compositing a lot faster, I just need to fill in the various patterns inside the sequencer and then trigger these patterns on the sequencer. piano roll.

Isn’t that how Playbeat works? I hope it’s my ignorance and it can work this way, otherwise it would be a useless tool within my workflow.

Thank you

Hello nAve,

Indeed at the moment Playbeat is designed to start/stop with your DAW. With our upcoming update we will introduce a keyboard triggering mode which is the same engine as we have on our latest Loopmix app and you will be able to choose between the two play modes.

stbt001

Will the update be free for those of us who just bought the program during the BF?

I cannot stress enough the importance of assigning Midi keys to the different patterns in order to play them within the DAW, that this is typically the workflow of choice for most audio producers. At the moment I can’t use Playbeat inside a project/song without exporting the midi or .wav inside the DAW.
It is urgent that Playbeat has the ability to be used within the Midi composition process.

DrumComputer Of SugarBytes has a pattern system and sequencer that is simply a masterpiece. The brilliant idea behind his sequencer is the ability to chain together different patterns which can then be triggered with Midi keys from note writing within the Piano Roll, reverse playback per channel within the sequencer, and of course, the “mod” option to modulate any parameter (velocity, pitch, flam…).

I think this couple of videos could be a source of inspiration for future Playbeat updates.

DrumComputer Sequencer
Sequencer - DrumComputer Tutorial - YouTube

DrumComputer Midi Mapping
Mapping - DrumComputer Tutorial - YouTube

Hey, Playbeat is great, but there’s still room to polish these features to take it to the next level.

Thank you!

Yes, the update(s) will be free for all users :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

I am trying to use Playbeat 3 without any success.

I’m composing a song right now, at the moment it has Intro - Verse - Chorus. I need Playbeat to play the beat only in the chorus section. How do I do it?
I understand that I can’t trigger different patterns via midi notes…but i can’t play and stop it by sections either?

I think I am doing something wrong, please help me if you are so kind.

Hi nAve,
In this case we would suggest to use a volume/mute automation which you can set to un-mute at a certain point on your track timeline.

But then the reverb tails are also cut off, so it sounds bad. Automating the volume every time I need to use Playbeat is very annoying.
Furthermore, do I have to open a separate instance every time I need a different pattern? I honestly don’t understand this software, it makes nice beats but it’s not useful for my work flow.

Is there any chance I can get my money back and return the serial number? I feel like I have the wrong tool, I can’t make music with it. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated

Hi nAve,
Why would you need a second instance for a second pattern? Could you just use the same instance and/or drag/export Audio from Playbeat?

1 Like

Hello audiomodern.

If I drag the pattern then I lose the benefits that Playbeat offers, so… what’s the point here? The ideal would be to use Playbeat until the end of the project, in production things change as you go. Dragging the pattern is extra work. And not only that, you would have to drag each new pattern separately, which is a real pain.
For now I have to use the program only as a laboratory for rhythmic patterns.

Look at it this way, ideally you would be able to use Playbeat like any virtual instrument where a Midi key is linked to the instrument’s playback. This is how Microtonic, Thesys, Drumcomputer and Scaler 2 work. I like this software, it really creates beats quickly with some cool features, but I don’t understand what is the point of a beat maker if I can’t use the different patterns easily and consistently in a music project. I don’t see any benefit from exporting Midi, the ideal would be to work with the benefits of Playbeat until the end.

1 Like

I see your point and we do agree with this.

Recently we have introduced a multi-functional keyboard for our recent Loopmix app, that allows to trigger individual sequencers/full mixes, control the playback & generate remixes and variations all from the same UI (see screenshot)

i can confirm that we’re already working to port this to Playbeat too with a quick update.

Thanks for your patience.

3 Likes

Dude, this looks great. Excited about the next update.

It would be great to have this feature within Riffer as well. (trigger sequence via Midi note on), instead of just start / stop with DAW / transport…

Hi stevemarfisi,

Yes, we are porting the same system to all of the apps. This will be available with the upcoming Riffer v4.

1 Like

THis plugin is really smart and beneficial. I purchased the bundle and now they are in my DAW working perfectly. However, when i noticed that extracted midi into my DAw does not function as expected, the plugin got the worst evaluation among all plugins I use. It is useless now. Cannot wait for the update to be released.

Hello Zaher,
What do you mean by that? Can you give an example?

It would be really important that the patterns you trigger won’t be new keyboard are not global but are local to each instance of play beat in your project.

Hi,
Is that Playbeat update you mention now ready?
Thanks

Folks, maybe I can ease your minds and help a little bit: You can already switch the patterns in Playbeat “on the fly” with MIDI notes!! It only takes a minute to set up. First, open the big list of MIDI mappings, and set all the “Quick Preset” mapping modes from “CC” to “Key”. (CC is the default.) Then click in the blank space to the right of the switch. A big list of available MIDI notes will appear. Simply select 16 of your favorite notes to play, one for each Quick Preset pattern. I recommend choosing notes below C3 and above C4, or you may trigger the drum sounds instead, and that is useful but different.

The cool thing about this method is the pattern changes instantly, but the position of playback within the pattern does not! So it will not force the pattern to restart just because you hit the key slightly before or after the desired beat. The patterns will remain locked to the DAW timeline. It works great for switching in fills, intros, breakdowns and outtros. I keep the 16th slot as a “blank” or empty preset, so if I want to mute the drums without cutting off effect tails in the track output, I just select the empty preset. From there I can drop in just a few beats from any other preset and then bounce back and forth with the empty one for a very spontaneous jam. Try it! You may like it.

The obvious downside of this approach is that there are only 16 quick presets. Another user proposed a feature by which a “Preset” when stored could actually save both a main pattern and a bunch of variations of/for that pattern in the “quick presets”. I hope there will be a way to do that, or at least a way to save a whole bank of up to 16 Quick Presets within a session file, so they all load with the particular song in the session.

Here is another very simple “pro tip” for bringing the pattern in and out with the automation in your DAW. It’s not awesome to have to mute the channel or lower its volume if there are effects tails coming through in that channel, but it is very easy to automate the “Device On” control, at least in Live. Simply make an automation lane for Device On, and toggle it on when you want the drums.

1 Like

Hi Mosaic,

This will come with our V4 later on this season which will also introduce various other new features as well.

Thank you for your patience.

Oh that’s pure fire! Great idea!