Riffer midi transfer on Logic iPad

Just wondering how to transfer the midi from differ over to logic for iPad as there is no midi button like the desktop app, I have tried the record midi to clip function however nothing shows up, it is as if it plays midi via the plug in but that is as far as the midi travels it won’t actually get onto the track. Many Thanks, Matt

Hello hudson357,

Thanks for reaching out. All you need to do is to select ‘Logic Pro Virtual In’ in Riffer MIDI outputs.
See screenshot below:

Hi,
just wanted to mention that this does not work the typical Logic Pro for iPad way and the solution above creates latency, which means the recorded MIDI notes are way off.

(1) Normally one would use Record MIDI to Track here for the MIDI FX Plugin that should be recorded, but this does not work with Riffer - it creates an empty track, even with the settings shown above.

This was already reported by another user January this year by the way ;-), see Riffer + Logic Pro for iPad: Record midi to track does not work, and the issue is still present.

(2) The solution mentioned above also only works, if the option Record MIDI to Track here is NOT engaged.

I guess that the latency is introduced, because Riffer as a Plugin hosted inside Logic Pro for iPad, sends its MIDI Output outside the host and then back inside again through Logic’s virtual MIDI Port.

If I am right concerning the MIDI routing, then it’s just not right - this cannot work.

Which means : there needs to be an update for Riffer to support Logic Pro for the iPad.

Wondering how this works on the Mac with Logic Pro, as the routing system is the same.

Hi Soundya,

There should be zero latency in this case. Which is your project sample rate? Does switching between 44.1/48 fix the issue?

Hi,
its get even worse and enters land of confusion, when using “Record MIDI to Track here” ;-). But it works, if I do NOT use “Record MIDI to Track here” and a Sample Rate of 44.1 kHz and a buffer size of 128 samples (whereby the Sample Rate seems to be key).

But beforehand I want to mention that using a another Auv3 MIDI FX Plugin that also like Riffer generates notes on its own, iOS Euclidean from 4Pockets, I have no issues at all.

I can use Record MIDI to Track here and every note is perfectly on the grid as programmed in the Euclidean App as you can see below.

Talking Riffer again - the screenshot in my initial post was done with a setting of 48 kHz and 128 samples - the default of fresh Logic Pro for iPad installation.

Changing the settings to 44.1 kHz and using 128 or 256 samples and enabling the option “Record MIDI to Track here” behind (on) Riffer, things get really crazy, as you can see in the following screenshot and I attached the original Riffer pattern for reference.

But please try to replicate an easy example on your own, as something weird happens that you must see yourself - while recording (the MIDI region is red) it looks like the pattern is recognized correctly, but if the recording is stopped and Logic (I guess) renders the MIDI notes from RAM to the MIDI region, its totally different - some note “fragments” upfront and a chord, although the Riff is monophonic.

But anyways - as there is no problem with 4Pockte’s Euclidean, I guess the problem is that Riffer routes MIDI outside the host and back in again, if I understand the settings you mentioned above correctly.

Could you please verify or explain what your settings respectively Riffer does with its MIDI output, as this will become relevant, when I add other MIDI FX after Riffer in the chain, which I have in mind.

And by the way Riffer seems to have a Problem with Ableton Link as well, but I will write a separate post on that later on.

Hi soundya,
Thanks for the information. We will take a look and correct this behavior very soon.